Big Girl Baths and Crackers

Sophia’s “big girl” bath tub came this week. She had outgrown her baby tub awhile ago (we had to have quick baths because she couldn’t really stay warm in such a small amount of water) and wasn’t quite ready for the big tub (nor was Mama with her big belly), so we finally bought the 3 foot big girl tub. One side has an infant type area where she can lay down and the other side has a place for her to sit without sliding down into the water. Maybe we can eventually bathe both babies at once! In any case, she is enjoying being more submerged these days and being able to spend more time with her bath books and wooden boat. We just have to watch out because she can still arch her back enough to get her bottom over the plastic piece that is supposed to keep her upright. Her little face headed way too quickly toward the water a couple of times, so we have to be sure to focus on splashing, not squirming.

Sophia also had PT again this week, and her teacher came too. They taught Papa how to help her sit up, leaning to the side a little bit (like most people do). They also recommended that we put her socks half-way on so that she can pull them off and have the reward of finding her feet, since she much prefers playing with her bare feet. At times it seems that her feet have replaced her hands as her favorite things to play with. We’ve also been practicing putting things in a bucket and taking them out; that is one of her IIIEP goals, and she is doing rather well (with papa’s help). We have a “teacher conference” with her team tomorrow to discuss how she is progressing and to set new goals. Hopefully we will have good things to report. We think she is doing wonderfully but it is always good to hear more objective assessments.

One of our pediatricians emailed from the conference he was attending in Salt Lake City to say that since Sophia’s fever is continuing, and the blood tests again revealed nothing, we should be seen for an “infectious disease consult.” We managed to make an appointment the next day with her other pediatrician who said she looks just fine clinically and there is no need to go to the “ID” folks. She seems to think that Sophia must be aspirating just enough from all of her reflux that her body is responding with an elevated temp, but it isn’t severe enough to cause other symptoms (labored breathing, etc.). We are just supposed to keep taking her temp morning and night and recording it. I wish there was something more we could do but no one seems to have any suggestions.

I am glad to say that we made it the two-mile trip to the doctor without getting into an accident. I had bundled Sophia up in her car seat and covered her in a blanket before John took her out to the car. I forgot to tell him that I hadn’t yet buckled her in, since I didn’t want her tummy to be smooshed any longer than it needed to be. He assumed that I had her all set to go and was quite surprised when he went to unbuckle her at the doctor’s office! We have just started keeping the car seat in the house and apparently need to work on our communication as we make this adjustment. Seems like there are so many things to look out for in this parenting business…at least there was some comfort in learning we aren’t the worst parents in the world (John hasn’t left Sophia in a van out in the freezing cold while he sits inside a strip club).

Sophia saw her speech therapist for an evaluation on Thursday. Our pediatrician wanted to see if he could help get Sophia to eat solids (and drink again). He was very reassuring, and told us to keep in mind that she was able to do these things before, and that its really just a matter of getting over the reflux. He was impressed with her willingness to try different things and her ability to use her tongue appropriately. He said her aversion was not behavioral, but rather the result of all of her spitting up. Sophia tasted her first graham cracker and seemed to like it! The therapist had some ideas for her reflux–most of which we’ve already tried–but we are now trying a week of feeding her smaller amounts every 2 1/4 hours to see if that helps her keep her food in (unfortunately, it hasn’t so far). We’ll have a couple more sessions with him to learn about other ways to help her learn the techniques for eating, and we may ultimately just have to wait for her to outgrow this reflux. After the session, we bought her some wheat-free teething biscuits (her doc doesn’t want her to have wheat yet since kids with Down Syndrome are more susceptible to wheat allergies). She bites down on them and licks them a little, so that is a good sign. She also tried a spinach and carrot combination and seemed to like that (at least what she was able to keep in her mouth long enough to swallow).

Sophia had lots of company today–Siobhan spent the day with us; Grandma came by for some Sophia-cuddling; and she got to meet a friend of mine from law school, Jenell, and her 2 year old daughter Hannah. Mukwa’s favorite person of the day was definitely little Hannah–being an excellent source of crackers, dough-nuts, and toys. I think Mukwa is starting to catch on to the benefits of having two little girls to follow around. 😉


  1. Christine says:

    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the update. I hope I can see you all soon-I miss you! I think of you often, hoping everything is going well, and everyone is staying healthy. Not too much longer, and there will be another Wright to visit!

    take care, love ya!