invasion of the baby snatcher

Our main focus today was working on figuring out a way to get Sophia to take her sodium supplement.  The docs did reduce the amount a little, but she still really gags on it.  The nurses’ recommendations vary from diluting it in her entire bottle (which helps with the taste, but makes the whole bottle yucky and also makes her take much longer to eat, which burns a lot of calories) or doing it in a concentrated dose to just get it in and to separate out meds from food so she is less likely to mistrust all food.  Our current system is to give the other meds first in a small amount of milk to make sure she gets those in; give her a “chaser” of plain milk; give her a concentrated dose of sodium with vanilla flavoring using a syringe instead of the bottle; and then letting her eat just plain milk.  We’ve decided we just need to pick one method and let her get used to it–it takes her awhile to adjust to new things, so hopefully this will get easier.  


Her oxygen levels seem to be much improved and her eating has increased tonight, so we are hopeful that we will get discharged by Tuesday.  The cardiologist today said he was happy that her lungs were starting to become less rigid, which means that her holes cause more blood mixing problems, but also means that they are developing appropriately.  He says there are medicines to treat that, and if they don’t work (she doesn’t start gaining weight and has faster breathing and heart rate), surgery will be bumped up.  


We are pleased that we’ve not been assigned the baby snatching nurse again tonight.  Although she claimed to be very well meaning (letting us sleep), she also said she really missed not being able to hold babies on this wing since the parents are boarding in–so seemed to take every opportunity to grab one.  It was a little disturbing for this admittedly obsessive parent to wake up and find my baby had been taken while I slept.  The first night she took her because she saw her saturation levels dropping on the monitor– (but then unplugged her from the monitor to hold her out in the hallway).  I didn’t wake up until she was returning her to bed–scary!  Then last night, I thought I made it clear that she should be sure to wake us up if 4 hours had passed and Sophia had not woken up on her own.  Well, the nurse had come in for vitals, seen that Sophia was awake (but not crying) and decided that she’d feed her for us–this time I woke up almost right away and noticed that Sophie was missing!  The nurse had started to feed her (differently than what we’d been working on), so I took her back, but since we’d started out badly it became an extraordinarily long feeding session, with the nurse suggesting that the NG tube be reinserted–ugh!  Then when we asked during rounds how it was that the new steri strips on her wound were suddenly missing (had the surgical nurse practitioner somehow been there and we didn’t know?), the charge nurse explained that our night nurse would be one that would do that kind of thing without saying anything.  Seems like she has a reputation (so it isn’t just me being more crabby in the middle of the night, but I’m sure that is a factor, too).  She was nice enough (even bringing us nipples from Rainbow Foods) but didn’t seem to understand that it could be disturbing to a sleep deprived parent to find her baby missing, even in the NICU.  


Off to sleep–we’re sorry to be missing Siobhan’s (Sophia’s God sister) stilting debut at the May Day parade tomorrow–best of luck!