6-month Check-up

Sophia had her 6 month immunizations on Friday, including a flu shot (one of the two recommended for first-timers). She woke up Friday night about 3:30AM screaming with a 104.7 temp. (We had to do our first rectal temps this weekend–something I’ve tried hard to avoid. We bought an ear thermometer before she was born, and before we were told her ear canals are too small for that to be of any use. We do have the fastest one recommended by one of the home health nurses, but I still feel bad about doing it).

Since the American Academy of Pediatrics book said a temp of 105 was dangerous, and we’d been giving her Tylenol for the pain of the shots and her temp was still that high, we thought we’d better call the nurse line. This was the first time they didn’t send me directly to the doc after learning that Sophia is a “heart baby.” The nurse went through all of her questions and decided she could have home care–some Ibuprofen. Since she’d just turned 6 months, we didn’t have any. Papa got to make the middle of the night run to Walgreens for the Children’s Motrin while I held Sophia’s light toys up for her and sponged her down. When I went to read the bottle in the morning to figure out when she could have another dose, I learned that those having heart surgery soon should not use it and those on diuretics should consult their doctor. So, that meant another call to the pediatrician’s office. Apparently “soon” means within 5 days, so we were okay there. But since she’s on two different diuretics, the doctor said she should only use it for fevers that break through even while on Tylenol. Sophia had that a few times this weekend, so she did get more Motrin. We are supposed to go in if her fever lasts for more than 48 hours, so I’m hoping it is gone by morning. She did have a slight fever at the doctor’s office before her shots (even though she already had an early dose of Tylenol to make them less painful) so we hope it isn’t something other than her immunizations. Luckily, she doesn’t seem to have any other symptoms of being sick.

At her check-up, Sophia’s doctor said she looked really good. She’s at 75% for height and 65% for weight on the Down Syndrome chart (16%, 6%, (and 0% for head) on the regular chart). She’d also met the milestones up through 5 months (which is pretty good since being premature, 5 months is actually her “corrected age.”) One of the early milestones was “recognizes mother”–we quickly wrote in “and father” since the chart didn’t mention father, unless he is included in “other adults.”

She’d actually gained 11 ounces in 9 days–which is a little more than they recommend. We haven’t been feeding her as much for her extra feeding since she doesn’t seem to need it. It looks like she’ll be close to 15 pounds for surgery, though–which is much closer to the 20 pound ideal than the 7 pounds she was at when they thought they’d need to operate before. Her doctor had some good advice about preparing ourselves for surgery although she made a comment about Sophia’s surgeons both having “big hands” which made me a little nervous. We can now start introducing foods other than cereal if she’ll tolerate it. We want to introduce as much of this as we can before surgery since the trauma will result in a few setbacks and it will be easier for her to relearn skills as opposed to learning them for the first time.

Papa bought her a high chair on Saturday so she would be more supported while feeding. After a lot of research we found one that Sophia’s teachers thought looked good. She seems to like being at our level although she was dealing with the fever all weekend so it wasn’t an ideal time for adjusting to something new. Guess it was good to procrastinate on some of these purchases; the cute wooden Stokke high chair we wanted will have to wait until she has more trunk support.

When Sophia’s teachers came out this week, they brought a little contraption to help keep her legs more in line (instead of in a froggy pose). They sewed two Wilson sweat bands together at the sides, and we put one on each leg (John promises he’ll get a picture soon). They thought it was great that they had the “W” monogram on them for little Miss Wright. The first time they put them on, we could see the W, but it looked like an M to Sophia–so we switched them around (no sense promoting McDonald’s). We met her new OT and her teacher for the first time; it looks like we’ll have a good team with lots of ideas for Sophia.

Thursday, Sophia took her Grandma on the light rail downtown to Cafe Brenda (who catered our wedding) to meet me for lunch. Brenda wasn’t there, so Sophia didn’t get to meet her, but it was a really nice day to be outside for a little adventure. Sophia also got to eat out on the deck at Annie’s Malt Shop on Friday night until her syringe refused to stay in her tube (we had to finish feeding her at home). Saturday morning Sophia’s Grandma went back to Texas; Sophia will miss playing with her. Because of her fever, she did not get to go along for the ride, but practiced waving “bye-bye.”

Although waving is a ways away, Sophia’s newest trick is to point her bottom way up in the air. Pretty soon we’ll have to wrap her stomach in an ace bandage so she can scootch on her tummy. More pictures to come…

We found out last night that one of John’s non-Sophia pictures was one of 35 winning entries selected by Lens Culture for their first photo contest: “in between” moments (John’s is the tenth photo in on the slideshow). We’re very proud of him. 😉


  1. Ann 'Recipe' says:

    Hi, Deb and John–Sure was glad to get Grandma’s call last night telling me that all had gone well for Sophia!! What a wonderful birthday ‘present’ for me!! I think she looks REALLY good for postop day 1—from a ‘professional’ viewpoint. She’s so nice and pink and alert. My prayers are with you all!! Love, Ann ‘Recipe’

  2. Hi, I am glad you are feeling much better. I can’t wait to get back to working on our a, b. c’s.