Papa’s Princesses Zophia and Soe

100sozo100-2.jpgAll along we’ve been calling Sophia “Siobhàn” or “Mukwa” by accident, but now, we are not only mixing up names, but combining them. This week, John started to say “Zoe,” but realized he was talking to “Sophia,” so it came out “Zophia.” Maybe they’ll both just have to be SoZo…

Sophia’s top tooth poked through Fathers’ Day morning; she sure has been working on that one for a long time. She’s really going to be able to bite now! As kids often do, the girls got their Papa Fathers’ Day presents that they would like for themselves…new toys! Maybe next year he’ll get breakfast in bed. (That should give him enough time to practice saying how yummy everything tastes.)

We’ve started child-proofing in full force. Sophia can get across the whole bottom floor in a matter of seconds; she was trying to get out the back door today. We have a gate at the top of the stairs and of course all of the outlets covered and cabinets locked. I imagine we’ll have the gates up for a long time yet. Poor Mukwa can’t get up and down the stairs whenever she wants either.

Even with all the child proofing, we managed to have our worst accident, yet. I was using the changing table to try to put Sophia in a dress since it helps to keep her from crawling across the floor. I had her sitting up, and she had her hands on the end rail, facing out. She started rocking back and forth, and as I tried to stop her, she somehow rocked so hard that she flipped her body through my hands, over her head and over the side of the changing table. It doesn’t make any sense when I try to describe it, but she flew off and landed on her head on the hardwood floor (not on the nearby padding, unfortunately). I tried to catch her, but it happened so quick. It was the most horrible thing; I still can’t believe it happened. I obviously never leave either of them unsupervised up there, but wouldn’t think this would happen when I was right there. I had actually used the strap the other night because she’s so strong and so squirmy, but I couldn’t dress her with the strap on. It didn’t take her long to calm down and even had a smile for Grandma when she looked over and saw her, but I sure hope there won’t be future problems. I have to keep remembering that accidents do happen, like one of our doctors who talked about her daughter falling down the stairs twice, but it is an awful feeling.

After this, I decided I’d better use the play pen for Sophia when I brought Zoe upstairs to nap; with my luck, she’d crawl out the back door and fall down the step! So, she had her first experience in the pack-n-play. She was so cute; just staring out, scratching at the netting. She didn’t even touch the toys I put in there, except when I said: “Where are your rings?” and she picked them up briefly (I’m beginning to think she understands more words than we realize). At least she didn’t protest at all, because we may need to use it more to keep her safe (and keep her sister safe from her).

Sophia loves to rotate around on her butt in a circle. She has so much fun doing it that she even rotates away from people without realizing she won’t be able to see them. It makes it tricky for putting medicine in her button or to try to catch her spit up, but it is very cute. She is also wearing her larger pink wrist bands (sewn together and worn on her thighs) to remind her to use the right leg muscles. She can almost get up on quadraped (hands and knees), but most of the time, she just uses one knee (I guess that must be triped). I’m sure in no time, she’ll be really crawling with her tummy off the floor. She’s also really trying to pull herself up onto things; so we keep working on standing.

Zoe is about ready to giggle. She giggled accidentally while I was burping her the other day and was kind of giggling for John when they were playing the other day.

101sozo101.jpgSiobhàn came Thursday and Friday since school was out, and she’s visiting her grandparents in California for a month. The first day, I went to get Sophia out of bed and brought her downstairs to change her. I set her on the floor and said: “I don’t think you’ve said ‘Good Morning’ to Siobhàn yet.” Sophia sat straight up, looked around to find Siobhàn and crawled right over to her. She wrapped her arms around Siobhàn’s waist and I don’t think she stopped hugging her or staring at her all day long. Sure makes it easier to leave for work when I realize she doesn’t even miss me! Siobhàn also learned how to give Zoe her bottle (but John burps her), so that is really helpful.

On Thursday, Siobhàn got to be tormented at Sophia’s blood draw. It is still really hard for us to watch her in so much pain, and we do this on a regular basis. The finger prick method doesn’t seem any less painful, just easier to poke. I think what she dislikes the most is when the tech has to squeeze her finger to get enough blood out for the vials. On Friday, they took the girls to the park, which was much less stressful. Sophia loved the swing and then tried to do her circle spin in the tunnel, but that didn’t work so well. Although you wouldn’t know it from the pictures, Zoe was there too, napping in the stroller.

Saturday afternoon we all took a long walk over to see our friends Dan, Angie, and Laura. Laura just had surgery, so we wanted to make a get-well visit, and it was a beautiful day. She’s 5, so she was old enough to have to explain the procedure to, which must have been heart wrenching. That was one good thing about Sophia’s surgeries; she was too young to really know what was going on. We missed my cousin Sandy’s surprise 50+ party since we can’t do much of anything that happens after 5:00 these days.

Sunday, Zoe went with me, Grandma, and Uncle Todd to visit our Aunt Carey, who is at Abbott with a broken vertebrae from a car accident. My cousin Lori and family came while we were there, too, so Zoe got to meet more of her family.  She especially enjoyed all the lights at the hospital. I didn’t think I should bring Sophia to a place with a bunch of sick people, so she got some special one-on-one time with Papa (who could also observe her closely for signs of concussion). Luckily, she seemed to recover really quickly.